Leash-train Your Cat
Teach your cat to walk on a leash so you can both safely enjoy the great outdoors.
These 10 steps will help you along the way:
1. Train your cat to respond to your voice. Call your cat at feeding and play times. Praise and pet it for coming when called and soon your cat will associate your call with good times.
2. Buy proper equipment. Choose an adjustable harness that fits snugly. Then, select a 4-foot-long leash to attach to the harness. Finally, buy a separate collar with an identification tag, in case your cat gets loose.
3. Introduce your cat to its gear. Allow your cat to gradually become familiar with the smell of the harness, leash and collar.
4. Put the harness on the cat. Don't force your cat to wear the harness; ensure you cat associates it with pleasure. For the first time, only put the harness on your cat for 30 seconds and remove it three or four times. Give long breaks between sessions to get used to getting in and out of the harness.
5. Let your cat drag the leash. Fasten the leash to the harness and let your cat get used to the weight. Stand on the opposite side of the room and call your cat. After a few days, when it comes consistently, begin walking it around the house.
6. Associate the harness with the outdoors. The sooner your cat learns the harness means outside, the easier this process will become.
7. Encourage calmness. If your cat loses control, discourage this behavior by standing still. Your cat will soon learn that it can explore only when calm.
8. Choose relaxing situations. You can't expect calmness next to a busy intersection or in the path of another animal. Keep an eye out for trouble before it arrives.
9. Follow your cats lead. Let your cat take the lead to build trust and make the experience more pleasant for you both. Your cat will want to explore and sniff the great outdoors. Always keeps the leash slack.
10. Start with short trips. Familiarize your cat with the area immediately around your home, and then gradually increase the distance you walk.
Give us your opinion on
Leash-train Your Cat