In an effort to improve our website for our visitors, we will be changing some of our service providers. We do not expect to experience any technical difficulties. However, if you are unable to access our website, please be assured it will be temporary as we transition to the new service.
10/19/2013 12:00.00 AM
Welcome to CC: FurFriend SESAME|
November 15: America Recycles Day promotes the social, environmental and economic benefits of recycling & encourages people to create a better natural environment.
WHAT’S IN OUR TRASH......National averages show:
38.1% Paper -12.1% Yard Trimmings -7.8% Metals -5.5% Glass 10.5% Plastic-10.9% Food Waste-9.8%Other-5.3% Wood Waste
The 2009 EPA national recycling figures for 243 million tons of trash generated were:
•82 million tons composted/recycled for 33.8% recovery rate
•29 million tons of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)combusted for energy recovery
•74% of office-type paper recovered
•60% of yard trimmings recovered
•34.5% of metals recycled
•7 million tons of metals recycled reduced greenhouse gas emissions at equivalent of removing 5 million cars from road for one yr
•Approx 9,000 community curbside recycling programs exist in US, increase over reported 2002 figure of 8,875
•Approx 3,000 community composting programs exist - decrease from 2002 figure of 3,227 programs
1. Every yr nearly 900,000,000 trees are cut down to provide raw materials for American paper and pulp mills.
2. Every yr US generates around 14 million tons of food waste which is 106 pounds of food waste per person, 570,000 tons of this is composted for a 4.1% recovery rate. The rest, or 13.4 million tons is incinerated or landfilled and occupies 6.3 million cubic yards of landfilled Municipal Solid Waste.
3. US throw away about 28 billion bottles & jars every yr.
4. US make more than 200 million tons of garbage each yr.
5. It takes a 15-yr old tree to produce 700 grocery bags.
6. Disposable diapers last centuries in landfills. An average baby will go through 8,000 diapers.
7. Each yr American throw away 25,000,000,000 Styrofoam cups. Even 500 years from now, the foam coffee cup you used this morning will be sitting in a landfill.
8. Most of the plastic recycled is #1 PETE soda bottles and #2 HDPE milk bottles. Most of the #3 through 7 plastics are not easily recyclable.
9. Corrugated boxes produced in the U.S contain 37% recycled content and by tonnage have a highest average 73% recovery rate or 21.6 million tons.
10. When 62.8% of the 102 billion aluminum cans are recycled, the energy savings can light a city the size of Pittsburgh for ten years.
(> ” ” <)
( =’o'= )......................here's your VOTE
(,,) - (,,)CHLOE, 9/26/11 COTD
Come visit me, Team RAGDOLL PAWesome PURRsonality #235194, :¦:Chloe:•:(¯`v´¯):•- :208036:¦: & Team CHLOE, a PAWSitively PURRfect NAME #234964.
11/15/2011 10:15.57 PM
Report This Comment
Come visit me, Milo.
11/15/2011 04:37.36 PM
Report This Comment