Common Plant Questions and Answers

Some cats like to nibble on houseplants. Find out what to do if your pet eats a poisonous plant.

Page 4 of 5

Printer Friendly
9. What else should cat owners know about plants and poisons?
Some plants contain calcium oxalate crystals in the plant cells. If the plant material is ingested, the crystals can cause oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of the oral cavity. Clinical signs seen from ingesting these plants include difficulty in swallowing, vomiting, drooling and inappetence. The following plants contain calcium oxalate crystals:

Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane)
Philodendron
Pothos
Peace Lily
Schefflera

Be prepared for a poisoning emergency. Your pet may become poisoned despite your best efforts to prevent it. Therefore, be prepared. Keep the telephone numbers for your veterinarian, ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center and a local emergency veterinary service in a convenient location. Do not attempt any therapy on your pet without veterinary advice.

You may benefit by keeping a pet safety kit on hand for emergencies. Such a kit should contain:
- A fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% (USP).
- Can of soft cat food.
- Turkey baster, bulb syringe or large medicine syringe.
- Saline eye solution to flush out eye contaminants.
- Artificial tear gel to lubricate eyes after flushing.
- Mild grease-cutting dishwashing liquid to bathe your pet.
- Rubber gloves to prevent you from being exposed while you bathe the animal.
- Forceps to remove stingers.
- Muzzle to keep the animal from hurting you while it is excited or in pain.
- Pet carrier to help carry the animal to your local veterinarian.
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center information:

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, an operating division of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), is the only animal-oriented poison control center in North America and is an allied agency of the University of Illinois. It is a unique, emergency hotline providing 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week telephone assistance.

The Center's hotline veterinarians can quickly answer questions about toxic chemicals, dangerous plants, products or substances found in our everyday surroundings that can prove poisonous or fatal to animals. The hotline number is (888) 4-ANI-HELP.

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Printer Friendly

 Give us your opinion on
Common Plant Questions and Answers

Submit a Comment   Join Club
Earn 1,000 points! What's this?
Reader Comments

kathy    marston, NC

10/20/2010 6:52:07 AM

pictures of poisonous plants would be most helpful so you know right away what it is.

View Current Comments


Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE