Crafts for Cat Lovers
Try the step-by-step guides to these two cat-themed projects to create a gift for yourself or a fellow cat lover.
Wall Hang Picture Holder
With a little time and sewing, you can make a beautiful gift that will be a lasting enjoyment for any cat lover. I used a sewing machine, but it's possible to create this with hand stitching.
- (A) ½ yard of fabric for border
- (B) 1 yard of fabric for binding and squares
- (C) 1 yard of fabric for background
- (D) 1 ½ yard of fabric for backing and squares
- One piece of 36-by-45-inch Craft batting
- Quick-fuse iron-on fabric made for printer
- Eight 4-by-6-inch plastic picture sleeves. You can also cut up photo album sleeves if single picture sleeves aren’t available.
- Coordinating thread
- Dowel or cord for hanging (optional)
Note: Entire project allows for ¼-inch seams and 44-inch fabric width. Always sew right sides together, unless noted.
|1. Cut four 6½-inch-by-6½-inch squares each from fabrics B and D. The easiest way to do this is by using a quilting mat, ruler and rotary cutter. If you don’t have these supplies, I make a template out of paper and mark your fabric with a fabric stick.|
|2. Cut these squares in half diagonally. |
3. Sew one triangle of each fabric together down the diagonal to create eight new squares. Using an iron, press seams open so they lie flat.
4. Sew the squares together into two strips of four blocks. The sides you choose to sew together will make a difference on what the pattern looks like, so set the blocks out before sewing them together. Press all seams open.
|5. Cut out three blocks 11 inches wide by 22 inches long from fabric C. Sew these in an alternating pattern to your two strips of blocks. Press all seams open.
||7. Take your eight 4-by-6-inch picture sleeves and set them on the bottom two background squares. I made mine all horizontal, but you could do all vertical, or a mixture of both. Carefully sew them in place, holding the plastic and fabric firmly in place while doing so, so neither pulls or puckers.|
|6. Cut four strips 3½ inches wide out of fabric A. First, sew the border pieces on both long ends, then sew on the top and bottom border pieces. Press all seams open.
||8. Using the printable fabric, follow the direction on the package to print out a picture for the top piece of background. I made a photo collage of our two kitties and put their names on it. This is a great way to personalize a gift. Allow ink to dry.|
||9. Iron above image on to fabric following directions on package.|
10. Lay background fabric down, put batting over it, then lay quilt over it. Make sure neither the background nor the top are crooked. Do not cut access around edges. Pin and sew all three pieces together.
11. Once sewn together, cut access around edges.
12. Cut out four 3-inch-wide strips out of fabric D for binding.
|13. Start binding by sewing binding to one side of the backing. Turn wall hanging over and fold binding over to the front side. Fold edge over one more time, and sew down the edge. There are many ways to do the corners, I just simply folded the edges over on the short ends. You may do this however you like. If you are planning on using the dowel or cord to hang it from, leave the top binding open.|
|14. Repeat step 13 for other sides.
15. Insert pictures in the eight holders.
16. Hang up by inserting a dowel or cord into the binding on the side you left open, or simply nail.
The great thing about this project is the possibilities are endless when it comes to colors, pattern variations with the blocks, and size.
Turn it Into a Quilt!
This project can easily be turned into a quilt by replacing the eight 4-by6-inch picture holders with more iron-on fabric pictures. Double the amount of fabric to make a nice sized quilt for snuggling up on the couch.
Wall Hanging pattern copyright 2011 by author. May not be used for commercial uses without express written permission by author.
Click here for instructions on how to make a cat-themed decoupage pot >>
Give us your opinion on
Crafts for Cat Lovers