CAT FANCY Writers' Guidelines
If you're interested in writing for CAT FANCY, please review our writers' guidelines.
Thank you for your interest in CAT FANCY, the most widely read consumer magazine dedicated to the love of cats. Before submitting any materials, read several issues to become acquainted with the type of material we use. Our magazine is available at many pet stores, bookstores and other places magazines are sold. Do not send unsolicited manuscripts. We will discard them unread. If you have an idea for an article, please send a written query with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
We are open to working with new contributors and fresh voices in addition to drawing from a talented crop of established contributors. Each month, we provide our readers with a mix of informative articles on various topics, including breed profiles, feline health, nutrition, grooming, behavior, training, as well as lifestyle and special interest articles on cat culture, the human-animal bond and personalities. Length: 100-1,000 words. Query first (see below).
Departments and Columns
Regular contributors write most of our monthly departments and columns. Exceptions include:
• Champion for Cats: Profiles of people (especially celebrities and public figures) who love cats, work with cats, or make a difference in the lives of cats. Length: 500 words. Payment varies with subject and experience. Query first (see below).
• Rescue of the Month. Profiles of a cat’s journey from homeless (rescued or shelter) to housecat. Length: 500 words. Payment varies with subject and experience. Photos required. Query first (see below).
Please Note: We accept queries between January 1 and May 1. Queries sent after then will be returned (if SASE is included) or discarded unread. Responses come by August. News and trend queries are accepted year-round.
Your typewritten, single-page query should include the following:
• The topic of your proposed article, expressed in one or two sentences.
• Why this topic will interest our readers.
• Key points you will cover in your article.
• Sources you will interview.
• How you will present this topic in a fresh, appealing way.
Please include one or two previously published samples of your best writing, plus information regarding your experience and qualifications. Mail your query to:
Attn: Query Editor
P.O. Box 6050
Mission Viejo, CA 92690
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your telephone number and email address. We do not accept phone or fax queries.
CAT FANCY pays following publication and buys exclusive first-time rights for one North American edition and one of each foreign language edition of the magazine for a period of six months from the date of first publication, after which the licensed rights are non-exclusive. (The contracted license grants rights for reproduction, distribution, syndication, online rights and the right to engage third parties.) We cannot assume responsibility for materials you submit, but we assure you that we will take all reasonable care in handling your work.
Give us your opinion on
CAT FANCY Writers' Guidelines