Kittens USA - Photo Guidelines
Kittens USA is a clear, informative kitten buyer’s guide and owner’s manual. This annual is a reference guide for prospective and current kitten owners, and focuses on how to care for mixed-breed kittens adopted from shelters or rescues. Article topics might include how to understand the feline’ natural instincts and how to groom and care for a new kitten.
1. We require sharp, high-density 35mm color slides. Slides must be top quality; we do not use duplicate slides or slides created from prints. Images may be submitted digitally if they are 300 dpi or higher when measuring at least 5 by 7 inches and in TIFF format; we cannot download images from the Web.
2. Take photos from the cat’s-eye level. While we sometimes use photos shot from a high or low angle, we stress reader involvement with the cat through eye contact and a level perspective.
3. Cover images must be photographed against a colored background - either indoor studio backgrounds or subtle outdoor backgrounds. Cover cats must be properly groomed, and appear healthy and happy. Be mindful of the trim size (8 1/8 x 10 7/8) and image area.
4. Centerspreads may be horizontal or vertical and are exactly twice the size of cover shots. Show as much of the cat as possible and emphasize its best features. The photo may show the cat in a pose that expresses its personality. Compose shots so essential elements, such as the cat’s face, do not fall in the fold. Also, remember that we will need some space on the photograph to place text.
Acceptance & Payment:
1. Should we decide to retain your images for possible future use, we will send you a contract.
2. We buy one-time North American Serial Rights on an exclusive basis; the nonexclusive right to use the photo(s) art in electronic media; and the nonexclusive right to use the photo(s), as well as your name (credit) in advertising and promotion.
3. Kittens USA pays on publication. Payment will not be received before the first week of the issue month in which the photo(s) appear. Payment varies depending on use and placement of the image. A photographer credit will appear with your printed photo, and you will receive two complimentary copies of that issue.
4. Pay rates are as follows:
$300 for a cover
$50 for color insets on cover
$125 for inside color, full page
$150 for 1½-page spread 4/C
$125 for full page 4/C
$100 for ¾-page 4/C
$75 for ½-page 4/C
$60 for ?-page 4/C
$50 for ¼-page 4/C
$25 for mug/postage stamp 4/C
$25 for TOC (duplicated) 4/C
Please be sure your name and address appear on each slide. You may use a code number for each slide to help us with identification in contracts and returns.
Keep in mind that we work two months in advance of the issue date; for example, we need February submissions by the first weekday in December.
P.O. Box 6050
Mission Viejo, CA 92690-6050
For UPS or overnight deliveries:
3 Burroughs Drive
Irvine, CA 92618
Due to the volume of submissions we receive, please allow eight to 10 weeks for a response.
Note: We review photographs on speculation. We cannot assume responsibility for material submitted, but we assure reasonable care in handling your work.