Mistletoe Toxic to Cats

The ASPCA reminds pet owners to keep mistletoe out of cats’ and dogs’ reach this holiday season.

Posted: November 28, 2006, 5 a.m. EST

Printer Friendly

Mistletoe can be toxic to your cat. Photo credit: American Phytopathological SocietyShow your cat plenty of affection this holiday season, but don’t let her get too close to the mistletoe. This traditional holiday plant can be toxic to cats and dogs, says the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center.

Many people include sprigs of the plant in their holiday decorating, and the ASPCA cautions pet owners to make sure the mistletoe is well out of cats’ and dogs’ reach. The plant, if ingested in large quantities, has the potential to cause a variety of reactions in cats and other pets, such as gastrointestinal irritation, excessive thirst and urination, a drop in blood pressure and heart rate, seizures, coma and even death.

Mild reactions, such as stomach upset, can occur in pets that ingest small quantities of the plant. If you suspect your cat has ingested mistletoe or another poisonous substance, contact your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. For more information about mistletoe and other potentially toxic plants, visit the Animal Poison Control Center website.

Printer Friendly

 Give us your opinion on
Mistletoe Toxic to Cats

Submit a Comment   Join Club
Earn 1,000 points! What's this?
Reader Comments

Nancy    Lancaster County, PA

4/7/2009 6:27:43 AM

I just purchased an herbal supplement for my cat from PetWellBeing.com and it contains 10mg Mistletoe! Please advise me/others if this is dangerous and if it should be taken off the market. Thank you very much.

laura    carson city, NV

12/11/2008 6:35:29 PM

thank you for the info. about mistletoe.that helped me decide whether to buy some. so thank you!

View Current Comments


Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE