More Pet Food Recalls
Royal Canin USA recalls and pulls one cat food and 14 dog foods from the market.
Posted: May 15, 2007, 4:30 p.m. EST
Royal Canin USA is voluntarily recalling one of its Kasco dry cat food products, eight of its Sensible Choice dry dog food products and six Kasco dry dog food products because trace amounts of the harmful industrial plastic melamine were found in them.
The company’s pet food recall announcement is based on an ongoing review of its manufacturing and quality assurance testing procedures. These tests identified trace amounts of a melamine derivative from tainted Chinese rice protein concentrate provided to the company by Cereal Byproducts, the Illinois-based ingredient supplier.
“While a very limited number of Sensible Choice and Kasco products in this recall tested positive for trace levels of a melamine derivative, Royal Canin USA is voluntarily withdrawing these products out of an abundance of caution,” said Olivier Amice, Royal Canin USA president and CEO.
As of May 15, Royal Canin USA has no confirmed cases of melamine-related illness in pets eating Sensible Choice and Kasco products affected by this recall.
The 15 dog and cat food products with date codes between July 28, 2006 to April 30, 2007 that are being voluntarily recalled are:
- KASCO Cat (dry cat food)
- KASCO Chunks (dry dog food)
- KASCO Hi Energy (dry dog food)
- KASCO Maintenance (dry dog food)
- KASCO Mealettes (dry dog food)
- KASCO Mini Chunks (dry dog food)
- KASCO Puppy (dry dog food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICE Chicken and Rice Adult (dry dog food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICE Chicken and Rice Reduced (dry dog food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICE Lamb and Rice Reduced (dry dog food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICE Chicken and Rice Puppy (dry dog food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICE Chicken and Rice Large Breed Puppy (dry dog food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICE NATURAL BLEND Adult (dry dog food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICE NATURAL BLEND Senior (dry dog food)
- SENSIBLE CHOICE NATURAL BLEND Puppy (dry dog food)
Pet owners should stop feeding their pets the products listed above and consult with a veterinarian if they are concerned about the health of their pet. Pet owners who have questions about the voluntary recall of Sensible Choice and Kasco dry pet food products and other Royal Canin USA products should call (800) 513-0041 or click here.
All the recalled products have a satisfaction guarantee, and the company said it will refund or replace the diets that are part of this recall announcement.
On April 19, Royal Canin voluntarily recalled five cat and dog foods because of melamine contamination.
For a complete list of pet foods currently under recall, click here.
For more CatChannel articles on the pet food recall, click here.
Give us your opinion on
More Pet Food Recalls