New Findings Show Toxic Mold Can Affect Pets

The study's veterinary co-author urges people in humid and flood-damaged areas to get their pets checked.

Posted: September 11, 2007 5 a.m. EDT

Printer Friendly

Toxic black mold can be extremely dangerous to your pets
After two Himalayan cats died from toxic mold poisoning, a veterinarian urges pet owners in humid and flood-damaged areas to check their homes for toxic black mold.
Toxic mold may be a new health concern for pet owners, according to a report published in the Sept. 1 issue of the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, which outlines what is believed to be the first documented case of toxic black mold poisoning in pets.

Douglas Mader, DVM, of Marathon Veterinary Hospital in Marathon, Fla., and co-author of the study, was performing routine dental procedures on two healthy, indoor Himalayan cats—examinations conducted prior to the dental cleanings showed no indications of illness—when he noticed frothy blood within the endotracheal tubes used to supply anesthesia to the two cat siblings.

Dr. Mader immediately stopped the procedures. However, one cat died the following day and the other about two weeks later.

“The circumstances of these cases are just not heard of,” Mader said. “Anesthesia doesn’t cause pulmonary hemorrhage.”

Blood collected prior to the cats’ death was tested and showed the presence of the toxin produced by Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as toxic black mold, which can cause respiratory-related health problems, pulmonary hemorrhage and death in people, Mader said.

Mader suspected the mold because the cats lived in an area that had been devastated by hurricane and flooding. After questioning the pet owners, Mader found out that their home had sustained water damage during a hurricane in October 2005, seven months prior to the development of pulmonary hemorrhage. Mader asked the pet owners to check their home for mold.

“Sure enough, they had very severe mold contamination in their walls,” he said.

The walls have since been gutted and replaced.

The pet owners’ other two pets, another cat and a dog, appeared fine, but Mader says that if they had undergone the same procedure it is possible that they may have experienced the same thing as the two cats that died.

Although toxic black mold poisoning in pets has never been documented before, Mader said he suspects that this is not the first case.

It’s possible that the symptoms have been there, which can range from mild respiratory disease to pulmonary trauma, but were attributed to other things, he said. There’s also no commercial test available, he added.

Mader said that veterinarians should ask pet owners about mold, especially those in high-risk environments.

“I think veterinarians living in an area where there is high humidity or previous exposure to flood or water damage need to put this on their list of what we call history questions,” he said. “When they check an animal in and do any kind of preoperative physical examination, they need to include, ‘Are you aware of any exposure to mold in your house?’”

However, pet owners also need to share this information with their veterinarians, Mader said.

“I think the most important thing is for people to be aware of things in their environment that could potentially impact the health of animals,” he said. “They need to let their veterinarian know.”

Mader and co-author Dorr Dearborn, Ph.D., MD, of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, plan to look into validating a test for toxic mold that can be used for commercial laboratories.

--Marissa Heflin, Associate News Editor for CatChannel

Printer Friendly

 Give us your opinion on
New Findings Show Toxic Mold Can Affect Pets

Submit a Comment   Join Club
Earn 1,000 points! What's this?
Reader Comments

Carrie    LaFollette, TN

3/16/2012 10:55:43 AM

can black mold cause cats or dogs to vomit up blood or what r the warning signs to lok for

Cheryl    Henderson, NV

10/1/2011 11:25:25 AM

Mold can cause serious health problems in animals and humans. For accurate information about the health effects of mold, go to LINK and LINK

vickie    Parkersburg, WV

4/1/2010 9:28:53 AM

Very informative. I also think pets can be harmed by mold. Our house was just tested for mold in Dec and when it became cold at night, our outside cats began coming inside. They immediately became ill w/basically same symptoms as people experience from mold: watery eyes & nose, lethargic, hair falling out,wouldn't eat, weight loss. One cat started bleeding from nose. When I put them outside, the symptoms stopped immediately.

Dee    Sun City, AZ

3/14/2008 9:41:47 AM

Excellent article.. Thank you so much..Dee

View Current Comments


Top Products

ADS BY GOOGLE