Allergy Testing

Does your cat need to see a feline allergy specialist? Allergy testing may help determine proper treatment.

Posted: Tue Dec 17 00:00:00 PST 2002

Printer Friendly
Owners of cats that suffer from allergies may want to have allergy testing done on their cats or have their veterinarians refer them to a specialist. Some veterinarians may perform RAST serum testing method. Testing and subsequent hyposensitization may lessen a cat's allergies.

Jean Greek, DVM, a board-certified veterinary dermatologist in Kansas, highly recommends allergy testing and either hyposensitization or avoidance of those allergens to which the cat reacts positively on testing. She advocates the other type of testing called intradermal, in which minute amounts of potential allergens are injected in the skin and the reactions are measured. Many times, owners are taught to administer the injections for hyposensitization, and they become quite comfortable with that procedure. Referral to a specialist may be necessary to pursue the diagnostics, but some general practitioners do allergy testing in their practices. Discuss all the options with your veterinarian.

Printer Friendly

 Give us your opinion on
Allergy Testing

Submit a Comment   Join Club
Earn 1,000 points! What's this?
Reader Comments

janet    bethlehem, PA

8/10/2011 5:55:27 AM

important information, thanks

janet    bethlehem, PA

4/6/2010 4:52:22 AM

good article thanks

ck    chester, CT

3/27/2009 8:58:12 PM

good info

Lisa    Casper, WY

3/27/2009 8:29:49 PM

My beloved boy who passed away a few years ago had allergies. Our local Vet treated him and he got along well. This is a good article and very good info.

View Current Comments

Top Products